Chichester Mini Club Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chichester Mini Club Forum

For all local classic mini owners

3 posters

1998 MPI overheating problem?

flea1819

1998 MPI overheating problem? Empty 1998 MPI overheating problem?

Post  flea1819 Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,

I've got a "Rover Mini Cooper MPI 1998", In which I've had an overheating problem the last few weeks. Basically, the electric fan does not come on in time to cool the engine down? Hence the Mini overheating, and dumping all it's water. So I've eliminated some problems. I've changed the thermostat, the sender unit, the water pump and flushed the system out. Yet, this does not cure the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but, the only thing I could think to do would be the head gasket? Might be blocked etc..? Can anyone help and tell me why, if it was to be the head gasket that, that would be the problem?? Or, does any know what else the problem could be?

Regards,
    Flea
    clubbyman
    clubbyman

1998 MPI overheating problem? Empty Re: 1998 MPI overheating problem?

Post  clubbyman Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:25 am

hey,
    so you've replaced the thermostat, and i assume by sender unit you mean the coolant temperature sensor? you say the fan doesnt kick in soon enough, this would be purely related to the coolant system. Therefore if the engine is overheating due to running lean or having a blown head gasket, it wouldn't delay when the fan kicks in. if this was the case, it would overheat even if the fan was working correctly. Have you checked the radiator, it could be partially blocked meaning, the part of the radiator where the temperature sensor is located is not getting a flow of coolant to it. therefore it could be staying cool whilst the engine is hot thus not turing the fan on letting it overheat.

however if the fan is working correctly, a blown head gasket could cause your engine to overheat yes, are there any other symptoms? oil in the water? "mayonaise" in the oil? using coolant?

hope this makes sense and helps Wink
    Stevedx
    Stevedx

Post  Stevedx Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:27 am

is the fan actually coming on?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content