Chichester Mini Club Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chichester Mini Club Forum

For all local classic mini owners

5 posters

club website

steble
    steble

club website Empty club website

Post  steble Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:19 am

at the next meet i am going to have a bucket/tub for donantions towards the club website.

depending on how much is donated depends on what sort of website and how long we have it for.

don't feel obliged to donate and if you do donate as much or as little as you want

it will honestly only cost about a quid or 2 each max any extra we have i will keep asside for other club things
    Shane Hudson
    Shane Hudson

Location : Tangmere (Though I am restoring my Mini in Bognor!)

club website Empty Re: club website

Post  Shane Hudson Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:04 am

I have suggested before for I to help you.

Although I am just a student, I generally charge £25 to £50 per hour for website development. I am prepared to help you for free!

Also, I can supply (not me personally, but at least 3 hosts have said they will give me free hosting to give to anyone I wish) hosting for free. Generally (depending on the server) the hosting companies that supply me use a LAMP setup (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) which is my preferred hosting anyway.

If your interested, just reply here or shoot me a message on here or facebook.

I do not know how web-savvy people here are, so if anyone wants to help with the website but does not know how... I am willing to do a bit of teaching too. Either on here or in person.
    electricjim
    electricjim

Post  electricjim Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:23 pm

www.mrsite.co.uk the blue £34.99 one has served me well for

www.arun-skating.co.uk

and

www.wsmoc.co.uk
    Shane Hudson
    Shane Hudson

Post  Shane Hudson Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:50 am

Just a quick note. Usually I would suggest integrating the forum into the main site. However I just checked and for some strange reason, forummotion does not allow you to export the data! Never seen that before.

If you would like to integrate a forum into the main website, I can do that but it would mean starting from scratch again!
    steble
    steble

Post  steble Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

aye shane you have said it before but i never see you Laughing

will i be able to control and edit the wedsite from my laptop if we do it your way?
    electricjim
    electricjim

Post  electricjim Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:12 pm

easily edited with mr site Very Happy. only thing is would have or keep and external forum but have a link to it on site if wanted.
    HeatherMaude
    HeatherMaude

Post  HeatherMaude Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 pm

ashley can build websites too =p
    Shane Hudson
    Shane Hudson

Post  Shane Hudson Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

Usually I use Wordpress, which is a Content Management System and by far my favourite of the bunch. With that, yes you will be able to control the content with ease. Adding new pages is a simple click of a button.

For some reason local web development firms charge on average £1300 (I did my market research Very Happy) which is ridiculous in my mind.

The only thing I cannot give you for free is a domain. They are about $10 these days.

As I do not yet have my mini ready (or a full license for that matter) I find it hard to get to the meets, which is why you have not seen me haha.
    HeatherMaude
    HeatherMaude

Post  HeatherMaude Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:06 pm

Shane Hudson wrote:Usually I use Wordpress, which is a Content Management System and by far my favourite of the bunch. With that, yes you will be able to control the content with ease. Adding new pages is a simple click of a button.

For some reason local web development firms charge on average £1300 (I did my market research Very Happy) which is ridiculous in my mind.

The only thing I cannot give you for free is a domain. They are about $10 these days.

As I do not yet have my mini ready (or a full license for that matter) I find it hard to get to the meets, which is why you have not seen me haha.

Dollars? what country are you living in??...haha
    Shane Hudson
    Shane Hudson

Post  Shane Hudson Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:31 am

Heh dollars is somewhat universal these days on the net! I get my domains from namecheap.com, which is usually cheaper than English registrars. But ye, that's the sort of price your looking at... £5 - £7 something like that.
    itsfee
    itsfee

club website Empty Club website

Post  itsfee Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Steve - will be happy to donate also we thought at last meet because the Club is expanding would be possible now to charge a fee for each meet (something modest) that will build Club funds for future shows etc (would like to know what other members think on this)
    steble
    steble

Post  steble Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am

ok shane so we can have a website, and i can have control of it all for free???
    steble
    steble

Post  steble Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 am

oh and fee although its a nice idea, i started this club as a non charging club and it will stay that way. people shouldn't have to pay to be part of a mini club.

also if you charge you then have to run the club as a business which is something i don't want to be doing.

we could always set up donations etc, but i think its just best people chipping in if they want to/can when we want to pay for something
    Shane Hudson
    Shane Hudson

Post  Shane Hudson Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 am

Yep all for free. Shall get you hosting now. You will have to get the domain yourself (or I can get it and through donations the club can pay me back? Its only about a fiver).

But first... what do we want? This is a community, so there is no point me just making something, I need to know what everybody would like. I wish I could have made the last meet, then we would have been able to discuss it in person!

I cannot spend a lot of time on it until next week as I have a panto performance on Friday and Saturday so a lot of time this week is going into that! (If you want to come its at Tangmere Village Hall and we are doing Dick Whittington, I am Sheik Yabooti haha).

Things that I need to know asap include:

• What would you like to see on the front page?
    • Colour scheme?
    • Any photos of your minis would be nice to use around the site, let me know if you have any high resolution images I can use!
    • What internal pages will we need?

If anybody else wants to help me, let me know and I will create you an admin account (if Steve does not mind of course).

EDIT:

I have set up hosting with the name as ChiMiniClub.co.uk (which is available and the most obvious choice) but if you would like to use a different domain, it will work regardless. Sending information to you now.

EDIT 2:

Until we have a domain, the website will be at http://208.76.110.147/~chiminic/
    steble
    steble

Post  steble Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:54 pm

right well as for what we want on the website, we want it to look pretty much the same with the club logo on the homepage and with the same pages on it basically

that will be a good start then I'll change stuff around from there, just try to make it look not quite as poor as it currently does if you can

there is no preference for colour scheme just go ahead with whatever you want
    Shane Hudson
    Shane Hudson

Post  Shane Hudson Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Ok well I have copied a lot of the content across. If you would like to edit any of the content or structure, go ahead I think I sent you the admin pass.

If anybody else has any ideas as to what it should look like, let me know on here or facebook! (Or even help me do it!)

EDIT:
    Logos should be in a vector format for scalability and quality reasons. Is there a vector of the logo? I (due to lack of time to do it myself) put it through Vector Magic and the result after some fidling was not too bad, but don't much like it myself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If you like it then we can keep it. If not (and you dont have the vector) I shall do it myself with my Wacom Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 pm