Chichester Mini Club Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chichester Mini Club Forum

For all local classic mini owners

1380 Stage 4 Tuned Mini wont run right, 5 head gaskets later !!!!!!!!!!!

charlyn0

1380 Stage 4 Tuned Mini wont run right, 5 head gaskets later !!!!!!!!!!! Empty 1380 Stage 4 Tuned Mini wont run right, 5 head gaskets later !!!!!!!!!!!

Post  charlyn0 Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Hello all

As mentioned, i have a 1380 engine, had loads of head gaskets fitted, but sourced the best head gasket i could from mini speed after a discussion with them, fitted it recently. drove it for a week and it was okay for a small while. now back off the road again !!!!! . Also heli coiled 2 studs in block, fitted ARP head studs to give it best chance.
    Had the head tested, its okay. Also put straight edge on block, no imperfections.
    I pulled the spark plugs out to have a look as its runnin crapier than normal, 1, 3 and 4 look good, nice brown crisp colour with the trimmings but number 2 was black and oily looking.
    I then started it, pulled off the leads on 1 and 4 and it made a considerable difference to the idling, pulled 2 and 3, NO DIFFERENCE. I checked the firing sequence to see if the leads were correct, they are. Think i will check the compression next but i think it will show me nothing like before.
    The engine is very high compression but was built by mini speed like it.215 on each piston before.
    I have had the same symptoms, checked the compression, all the same, open it up and the head gasket blows straight away after nursing it for a week from fitting the one before.
    The timing seems never to be right, mechanics set it up and before long, it runs crap again.
    Any advice would be great, try to explain it to me as simple as possible please ?
    Using a haynes manual and know a little but very interested to learn, but i can get help. lol!

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 am